In July, Hakka Methodist Church celebrated its 67th Anniversary with a very special tribute video featuring long-time members from the Hakka, Chinese, and English services. Check out the video above to find out what they had to say about our church over the years and their hopes and wishes for the church in the years to come!
During the initial stage of ministry among the Chinese immigrants in Singapore, beginning from 1885, the locus of the work, particularly among the Hokkiens, was around Telok Ayer Street.This led to the construction of the first Chinese Methodist Church at Telok Ayer Street.
Inroads to the Chinese community were also established through the setting up of schools such as Anglo-Chinese School and Chinese Girl’s School (later Fairfield). Subsequently, other groups began their own ministries and established churches along their dialects, including Foochow, Hinghwa and Hakka, to minister to immigrants from China, Malaya and elsewhere.
Hakka Methodist Church, as its name suggests, was one of the churches established to reach out to the Hakka community. Officially established as a local conference in 1949, Hakka Methodist Church’s roots can be traced even further back to 1911 when a Singapore Hakka Church met near a Hakka cemetery in Sung Long San (Holland Road).
Today, the sturdy growth of Hakka Methodist Church continues to be represented by the thousand pound aluminium cross which was put in place with the help of two RAF helicopters back in 1966.
In holding up the cross of Christ, the church continues its mission of reaching out to the Hakka community and to draw all to Jesus Christ.